If you and your Chihuahua decided to move to Alaska, you would take precautions. You’d buy him a sweater…maybe a heated pet bed. Why? Because a tiny, hairless native of Mexico is not built for the tundra.
The same is true for horses. Some breeds developed in desert-like conditions with very sparse grazing. Lush, abundant pasture may seem like horse-heaven on earth, but in truth, some of these horses may founder or colic more than other breeds better accustomed to these conditions.
If your horse seems to suffer from mysterious bouts of founder or colic, think about where the breed evolved. Arid? Swampy? Hot? Cold? You may need to make some adjustments to her environment to more closely imitate her ancestral home.
Certain horse breed are prone to colic, including Arabians and Quarter Horses, Miniature Horses and Standardbred, Tennessee Walking Horse, and Quarter Horse stallions are slightly more prone to colic than other horses.
Arabians and Quarter Horses sometimes suffer from strangulating lipomas which can lead wrap around the intestine.
Miniature horses are prone to fecal impactions and Standardbred, Tennessee Walking Horse, and Quarter Horse stallions may develop scrotal hernias which can strangulate the bowel.
Understand that having a predisposition to colic does not mean your horse will colic. Stay alert to the signs and symptoms of colic to keep your horse safe and healthy.
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Best Delightful Horse Books For Kids From 5 To 10 Years Old: Starter Pack For Animal Lovers 2021
- Nothing Is Wrong Of Your Hay But Horse Still With Problems? Environmental Causes Of Horse Colic 2021
- List Of The Best Christmas Holiday Books, Stories, Music & Movies On Horses 2021
➡️ Beginner Guide
- Help For Horse Owners: Equine Resource Links That Must Be Helpful For You And Your Buddy 2021
- Useful Equine Phrases & Vocabulary To Communicate With Horsemen 2021
- Helpful Farrier Clubs, Blacksmith Organizations, Farrier Schools Resources 2021: Get More Information Here!
➡️ Horse Books
- Grab Your Chance To Upgrade Yourself As A Horse Lover At A Low Price! Great Deals Of Amazon Prime Day 2021
- Best Horse Books For Young Readers & Teens (2021): Animal Lover Fictions To Buy Before 18
- Best Informational & Educational Horse Books Online 2021: Another Reason To Love Riding
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Are You Considering EMT For Your Horse? Equine Massage Treatments FAQ 2021
- 5 Information You Must Know For Physical Management Of Your Horse Colic 2021
- Is Your Horse At Risk Of Getting Ulcers? Syndromes & Best Treatments For Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome (EGUS) 2021
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- How To Know If Your Horse’s Weight Is Appropriate: The Tips And Diet Needs 2021
- Winter Horseshoes For Snow And Ice Guide 2021: Why They Are Necessary In The Cold
- Essential Knowledge Of Horse Hooves Shoes FAQs 2021 (Part 3): How To Avoid Hoof Injury
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- How To Get Your Horse To Obey You & Look To You For Instruction Without Threatening? 2021
- What Are Some Common Horse Bad Habits? Learn What Makes A Polite Equine 2021
- Amazing Insights Of A Horse Training Expert From The Late 1800’s! (2021)
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products