I wanted this to be a tribute to a unique group of people, but I find that they are almost indescribable. A good farrier must hold a sharp knife in his handwork underneath a large animal that sometimes doesn’t want to be worked on. The farrier must also know how to handle the person who owns the horse, sometimes the harder of the two options. He/she has to work with such diverse materials as metal, skin, and emotions. He needs the finesse of a surgeon and the strength of a wrestler with his tools, without the benefit of anesthesia. Good farriers can trim all four feet to the exact angles that all match, just with the eyeball measurements. When they get out the calipers at the end, all it does is confirm a perfect job.
He is also an artist when you consider first the eye he needs to visualize a perfect hoof from one which needs sculpting to that ideal. Then he/she has to shape the correct shoe for the job when a fraction of an inch could cause lameness. I have seen 8×10 oil paintings that sell for $8,000, but to me they are not nearly as beautiful as a lame horse that went sound after the farrier visualized the inside structure of the hoof, leveled the bars, rounded the toe, and released the pressure of an abcess, all for $25. These critical jobs are usually performed outside in all sorts of weather, and on any surface that happens to be there. And much of this delicate work has do be done almost standing on his head.
I feel inadequate to express the respect I have for these people who are artists, surgeons, psychologists, blacksmiths, and contortionists all at once. Sometimes the customer is near tears with a foundered pony- farrier must rescue the pony’s feet, and deal with the person in panic. Sometimes the customer only calls once a year, just before hunting season, and the farrier has to work a miracle which will last till next year. Sometimes people expect the farrier to do the training, or otherwise they would have the horse accustomed to picking up its feet. Sometimes when the horse struggles and suddenly there is blood on the scene, customer quickly asks if Old Peanut is hurt, not caring if the farrier has sliced the pad off his thumb when Old Peanut jumped.
Of course, not everyone falls into these categories, but enough of them do so that it is a recognized problem. The American Farrier’s Journal gives the advice to farriers that they drop the inconsiderate customers, or charge them higher prices.
When you think about all this you wonder why anyone would want this job, and you have to feel awe at those who do.
My horses thank you, as much as I do. Happy National Farriers Week 2021!
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Why Horse Hoof Cracks, Splits And Chips And Their Solutions: The Quick Fix Guide 2021
- How To Cure Unhealthy Horse Hoof: General Hoof Care And Maintenance Guide 2021
- Best Equestrian Horse Book For Riders (2021)
➡️ Beginner Guide
- Helpful Farrier Clubs, Blacksmith Organizations, Farrier Schools Resources 2021: Get More Information Here!
- Horse Stable Ideas To Know When Bringing Your New Horse Home 2021: Preparations You Should Go Through
- What To Look For When Buying A Show Horse? Checklist To Have A Specialized Equine 2021
➡️ Horse Books
- Best Delightful Horse Books For Kids From 5 To 10 Years Old: Starter Pack For Animal Lovers 2021
- How To Write A Great Story Book About Horses? Tips For Young Authors 2021
- Best Informational & Educational Horse Books Online 2021: Another Reason To Love Riding
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Risks, Signs & Symptoms Of Common Types Of Horse Colic: Health Knowledge For Equestrians 2021
- You Have To Prevent Your Horse Being Dehydrated: How To Get Your Horse To Drink More Water 2021
- Short Knowledge About Horse Inflammation Of The Small Intestine: Equine Enteritis And Colitis
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- 6 Common Reasons Why Is A Horseshoe Lost 2021: Don’t Judge The Farrier’s Workmanship Just Yet
- Step-by-step Horse Hoof Cleaning Guide And The Tools You Will Need 2021
- Hoof Abscess Infection: Treatment And Prevention Guide For Horse Care 2021
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- Horse Training Secrets For Busy Horse Owners Short On Time: “Quick To Do” Training Tips For You 2021
- Why Horses Are Good For Girls? All The Reasons To Let Your Little Girl Go Horseback Riding 2021
- What Are Some Common Horse Bad Habits? Learn What Makes A Polite Equine 2021
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products