If you love a horse or a horse person, celebrate Valentine’s Day – or any day! – with these horse-themed stories and poems about love and friendship.
* The Blessings of the Animals, by Katrina Kittle
This is a wonderful story that covers so much emotion, both animal and human, I couldn’t put it down. Cami Anderson has been reaching for excitement since she was a young child. She ran out in the middle of a tornado to see how it felt! When found by her Mom, miraculously unharmed, her Mom said “You don’t know when to stop!”
✅ Best Novel About Animals
Good Storytelling, Great Entertainment – This is a wonderful story that covers so much emotion, both animal and human, you couldn’t put it down. Cami Anderson has been reaching for excitement since she was a young child. She ran out in the middle of a tornado to see how it felt! When found by her Mom, miraculously unharmed, her Mom said “You don’t know when to stop!”
* Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
✅ Best Novel Jane Eyre
Magic realism. (Amazon Classics edition) – Jane Eyre declares the supernatural has left England centuries before her lifetime. Nevertheless, without breaking what is possible in our reality (and so many unexplained things occur) much fantastic and eerie populates the book, although nothing as fantastic as the portrayed human beings, as complex as real people. What is the story about? is a retrospective view to the life of the narrator, Jane Eyre, an orphaned girl whose intelligence has rendered her alone since child, and oppressed by authoritarian figures to survive she has to drown her feelings, expressing her wishes and intellect in the few venues allowed by her society to manifest.
* Like Water for Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel
✅ Best Novel Like Water for Chocolate
Lovely, wonderful book – Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquirel is a novel chalk-full of rich and beautiful metaphors and figurative language, magical realism and best of all FOOD! The emotion that has been poured into writing this piece is clearly evident and has created a meaningful, emotional and heartfelt journey for every reader. Watch as Tita discovers herself, learns life lessons and most importantly about passionate love.
* The Hearts of Horses, by Molly Gloss
✅ Best Novel The Hearts of Horses
Fantastic book!!! – Martha Lessen was a tall girl – big-boned and rangy like a horse, but also graceful and handsome like a horse. She not only wore men’s pants, she wore fringed batwing chaps and a big wide-brimmed hat. Taller than most women and a lot of men, she struck an imposing figure. Didn’t say much. Slept in the barn. Kept to herself. But the young woman’s work with horses and her gentle ways made her a hero to all the local kids, who saw her as a friendly incarnation of the Old Wild West broncobuster cowboy.
* Horseplay, by Judy Reene Singer
✅ Best Novel The Horseplay
A great light horsey read – Loved the lightness and tempo of this book…very easy reading. There are some VERY funny moments in this book, but also some very unrealistic ones, but forgivable. The ending touched more than you thought it would and was actually very sorry when done reading it as it was so enjoyable. The characters are so colorful and defined that you’ve been having fun casting the movie…Julia Roberts as Judy, Antonio Banderas as the Latin “horse whisperer,” etc, etc. looking forward to her next book and hope she keeps it in the horse/dressage world!
* The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle
✅ Best Novel The Last Unicorn
Magical prose that flows in lyrical quality and somber notes in deft creation of a profound myth. – Magical prose that flows in lyrical quality and somber notes in deft creation of a profound myth that is familiar and yet completely unique. Hope and regret and joy and sadness–a complete and wondrous tale! The Last Unicorn is a quest story. With all the dire implications that its title bears the protagonist is indeed the last unicorn left in the world. She lives in joyful ignorance of this fact until cruel riddles from the sibyl whisperings of a magical creature hint at her true plight.
* Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen
✅ Best Sense and Sensibility Novel
Austen on high – This is the story that cautions young women against cads and knaves of varied shapes and sizes. In the most roundabout 18th century English manner, scandals abound amongst a cast of people unwittingly observed by a toying, omniscient narrator.
* Horses with a Mission: Extraordinary True Stories of Equine Service, by Allen and Linda Anderson
✅ Best Book Horses with a Mission
Great gift idea for young horse lovers. – If you ever wondered what the human attraction to horses is, read this book. If you already love horses, this will make you love them more and bring tears to your eyes from the warmth that fills your heart.
* This is Not the Story You Think It Is: A Season of Unlikely Happiness, by Laura Munson
✅ Best Book A Season of Unlikely Happiness
An Incredible Journey of Self Discovery – Laura Munson’s story of how her marriage almost fell apart one summer is truly a story of self-discovery. You will be amazed by her strength and her candor. She tells all the gritty details of how her husband becomes depressed, how he goes through a midlife crisis and almost destroys his marriage. Laura Munson’s daily decision to be dedicated to her happiness changes everything. She refuses to suffer and even takes a trip to Italy with her daughter.
* Women Are from Venus and So Are Their Horses: A Grown Man’s Musings on the Opposite Sex in the Saddle, by Menno Kalman
✅ Best Book Women Are from Venus and So Are Their Horses
Women Are From Venus And So Are Their Horses – It is one of the funniest, wittiest books you have read for a very long time. This book is not just for people who love horses but for everybody that enjoys light-hearted and humorous literature. A ‘must have’ in everyone’s opinion.
Stories For Kids
* The Black Stallion, by Walter Farley
✅ Best Story For Kids The Black Stallion
The adventure never stops – A classic from childhood I was happy to reread and share. Also safe to share with a contemporary young reader – unlike some of the books from the first half of the 20th century, there is no blatant outdated racism or sexism which would require explanation. Just a great story.
* Cinderella, by Charles Perrault
✅ Best Story The Cinderella
The Original Cinderella Story – Beautiful pictures and an enchanting story – And the children loved it. So good to get away from Disney versions of these stories! A great book that the children ask to read over and over!
* Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa (series), by Erica Silverman
✅ Best Book Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa By Erica Silverman
Cute series installment – This series is a lovely one; Silverman has a nice sense of humor and a good feel for the pacing of the story and how to give readers a satisfying ending. Cocoa is a fun character and reminds me of a cow horse I once knew. In this installment, Cocoa is determined to live in the house, and Kate is even more determined to get him back out into the barn before her parents return. Betsy Lewin’s illustrations are great, especially when it comes to Cocoa’s expressions
* The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses and Mystic Horse, by Paul Goble
✅ Best Book The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses By Paul Goble
A Book to Behold – Paul Goble has written a wonderful story about a girl and he loves wild horses. His illustrations are spectacular–the best that you have ever seen in a storybook–a vibrant show of horses, birds, and nature. This book won The Caldecott Medal. It is a book for all ages to read, reread, and treasure.
* The Mystic Horse by Paul Goble
✅ Best Book The Mystic Horse
Mystic Horse – Mystic Horse is definitely a child’s book with lots of pretty artwork. Read it to four children ages 7 and under and they were quite taken, although you had to make sure they were understanding all the words and the story. Good book for parents to read to little ones.
* My Friend Flicka, by Mary O’Hara
* Ponyella, by Laura Numeroff
✅ Best Horse Book The Ponyella By Laura Numeroff
Sweet, Lovable Story – This is such a cute book with a good, well-written story. It’s perfect for any girly girl, princess, or horse lover! It’s the classic Cinderella story of a beautiful horse being neglected by her new owners, attending the horse show in secret, and… well you know the rest. There’s a little bit of humor mixed in as well. The Ponyella character and the princess (dressed in riding gear) are both lovable and it’s a sweet story. It’s a perfect not too long, not too short length and works well for a bedtime story. The illustrations are beautiful and page high quality.
* Unlikely Friendships: 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom, by Jennifer Holland
✅ Best Book Unlikely Friendships By Jennifer Holland
Relaxing, delightful… – Regardless of affiliation, Americans have consistently demonstrated their concern about the humane treatment of animals. Independent polls by Gallup, the Associated Press and others have shown rising support for animal protection for more than a decade. Humane education has become a legitimate issue in schools across the country.
* Eros and Equus (collection of poetry and story excerpts), edited by Laura Chester
✅ Best Poetry About Horse
One of the Most Exquisite Books You’ve had the Pleasure to be thrilled by – The most beautiful books You’ve seen, it’s been where you can look at it from the day you got it, the beautiful photographs by Donna Demari and the strong, moving selections of writing about horses, famous horses and those beloveds by their owners, make this a book you can’t be without. you will love it.
* Say This of Horses (poetry collection), edited by C.E. Greer and Jenny Kander
✅ Best Poem Selections
A one of a kind book – Anyone who spends time with horses on a regular basis will say this – horses live in and through their bodies more fully, more intensely, and more beautifully than any other animal who shares its life with a man. It is this quality of embodiment, the swift mutable vessel that horses are for so many of your sentiments and pre-lingual yearnings that keeps bringing poets to the horse. “Say this of Horses” is a uniquely composed record of this relationship as well as testimony to poetry’s own qualities of em-bodying, magnifying, and transforming a human experience
* Venus and Adonis, by William Shakespeare
✅ Best Poetry The Venus and Adonis By William Shakespeare
Venus and Adonis – That aside, this is a great poem. Partially, at least, a response to Marlowe’s Hero and Leander, this is Shakespeare’s erotic epyllion (little epic) drawing on a story from Ovid’s Metamorphoses.
* All in Green, by e.e. cummings
* Horses and Men in Rain, by Carl Sandburg
* Reverie, by Walter de la Mare
* The White Horse, by D.H. Lawrence
💛💜💛 Want To See More Less Common Gift Ideas For Horse Lovers? ==> Click The Images Below To Explore!
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- 3+ Best Books For Horse Owners (2022 Updated)
- The Ultimate Checklist On Assessing Horse Hoof’s Health? – Horse Care For Best Performance 2022
- 9+ Best Children & Girls’ Horse Riding Gear (2022)
➡️ Beginner Guide
- How To Buy A horse From Auction? Choosing One That Suits Your Abilities 2022
- Happy National Farriers Week 2022: Reasons To Thank Farriers
- What To Look For When Buying A Show Horse? Checklist To Have A Specialized Equine 2022
➡️ Horse Books
- Percy Jackson Horse Book Series & Movies Review (Best For Teens 2022)
- Best Equestrian Horse Book For Riders (2022)
- Best Books On Horses For Beginners (2022)
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Basic Health Knowledge You Must Prepare Before It Happens: How To Plan For A Horse Colic Emergency? 2022
- Best Horse Deals Equestrians Were Looking For: Planning For Upcoming Amazon Black Friday 2022
- Common Causes Of Impaction Colic In Horses: Health Knowledge Equestrians Must Know 2022
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- Step-by-step Horse Hoof Cleaning Guide And The Tools You Will Need 2022
- Essential Knowledge Of Horse Hooves Shoes FAQs 2022 (Part 3): How To Avoid Hoof Injury
- Beginner’s Guide To Horseshoeing 2022: 14 Essentials For Your New Farrier’s Basic Tool Kit
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- The Top 3 Tricks Horse Owners Can Use To Unspoil A Barn Spoiled Horse 2022
- How To Catch A Horse In A Field? Tips Recommended For New Horse Owners 2022
- Horse Show Performance Classes Explained: Why You Need Horsemanship 2022
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products