In the animal kingdom there is a pecking order. Richard Shrake points out that it’s a lot like the military. He ranks in the pecking order go from General down to Private. The General will get first pick of the food, decide where to go and when, and so on.
The “second in command” will act just like the General but he won’t pick on the General because the General dominates him. This string of command continues all the way down to the bottom of the pecking order. Any time a new animal comes into the group then the pecking order shifts. Knowing this information, you can use it to your advantage. You can make yourself the leader in the horse’s eyes. He’ll look to you for instruction. He’ll obey you.
If you have a dominant horse it will be instinct for him to let a more dominant being make the decisions. In this case the dominant being will be you. You will become leader by using your body language to show you are confident. Being dominant doesn’t mean you’re being aggressive.
On the other hand, if your horse is the General, you may have to be more assertive. Make sure your horse doesn’t think you’re a threat. It’s easy to come across as threatening when you’re being assertive. If your horse feels threatened he’ll fight back and you can’t win. And if you are doing horse training, you will find it hard to get results.
In the wild, dominant and aggressive horses will make their bodies tight and make sudden moves with fury while getting into the other horse’s space. The weaker horse will concede and move out of his space. Think of it as the General screaming an order and the Private is obeying.
Slow movements tend to draw one horse to another. Horses express calmness with relaxed, slow steps. This is how they welcome other horses in their space.
If a horse is trying to show you he’s the General you may see a clamped-down tail with pinned ears. To get him to accept you as the General you will move him out of his space. You do this by matching any quick moves he makes with your own quick moves. The trick is to make the first strike before he does.
One way to do this is with a quick arm movement towards him – almost like you’re violently shooing away some pesky flies. Also, you can use an aggressive tone of voice towards a horse if he’s being aggressive.
How can you tell if he’s conceding to you? If he turns his head or drops it, relaxes his tail, begins chewing, or takes a deep breath, then that’s how you know. If any of these happen he’s saying, “Okay, I’ll do what you say because I want to listen to you.” Pay attention to these clues that tell you your horse is in the Private mode (the follower) instead of the General mode.
When you go into the round pen to work with your horse first check to see how he responds to you. If he rubs his head on you or swings his rear end toward you then he’s challenging your position in the pecking order. If you’re with a horse that’s not dominant you want to make sure he has confidence. Thus, be very careful not to be threatening.
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- List Of The Best Christmas Holiday Books, Stories, Music & Movies On Horses 2021
- 6 Common Reasons Why Is A Horseshoe Lost 2021: Don’t Judge The Farrier’s Workmanship Just Yet
- Best Delightful Horse Books For Kids From 5 To 10 Years Old: Starter Pack For Animal Lovers 2021
➡️ Beginner Guide
- What Your Newly Adopted Horse Wants You To Know! Top 15 Horse Stories You Should Read 2021
- Buying A Horse For The First Time: 8 Points Equine Test To Go Through Before You Buy 2021
- Help For Horse Owners: Equine Resource Links That Must Be Helpful For You And Your Buddy 2021
➡️ Horse Books
- Best Horse Deals Equestrians Were Looking For: Planning For Upcoming Amazon Black Friday 2021
- Celebrate Earth Day Every Day: Top 10 Books on Green Riding, Sustainable Living, and How Equestrians Can Save the World 2021
- Celebrating 2021 Banned Books Week With Unforgettable Horses Books: Most Loved Literary Classics
➡️ Horse Health Care
- How To Create A Grazing Schedule To Reduce Horse Colic Risk? Tips On Avoiding Grain Overload 2021
- How To Take A Horse’s Vital Signs? Interpreting Health Of Your Horse Before Danger 2021
- Grab Your Chance To Upgrade Yourself As A Horse Lover At A Low Price! Great Deals Of Amazon Prime Day 2021
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- 8 Horse Hoof Care Tips To Keep Them Healthy: The Best Practice for Beginners 2021
- Step-by-step Horse Hoof Cleaning Guide And The Tools You Will Need 2021
- Essential Knowledge Of Horse Hooves Shoes FAQs 2021 (Part 3): How To Avoid Hoof Injury
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- How To Shoot A Gun While Sitting On The Horse? First Steps You Should Begin With (2021)
- Don’t Be Panic! Basic Commands & Horse Riding Tips Useful For Beginners 2021
- The Top 3 Tricks Horse Owners Can Use To Unspoil A Barn Spoiled Horse 2021
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products