I want to be able to shoot a gun while sitting on my horses back and have them stand still. Of course I don’t start there so this is what I have done so far.
I love bubble wrap. You know the stuff you pack things in and then pop because you can’t help it. I started by desensitize Aries (Arab gelding, 13 years old) and Vego (PercheronThoroughbred gelding, 2 years old) to the bubble wrap. I would get them used to the material first and then pop the bubbles. This was not so bad. They were used to it in no time. I used the approach and retreat method for this exercise as well as all of the others mentioned here. Now I needed something to go Bang! I thought about a cap gun but I would need to reload after every 8 shots. I needed something I could keep firing. Got it…
Paint Ball Gun
I took my kids paint ball gun and full tank of CO2. I would have hundreds of shots J. I then help my horse on a lead rope and started to fire away from him. I should also mention that I did not load any paint balls. The CO2 alone made a big pop when I pulled the trigger. When the horse would relax I would stop and pet. I then started to shoot near the side of the horse. Once the horse relaxed I would stop and pet. I eventually worked my way all around the horse. I could shoot over his head, between his legs, all over.
So now they are OK with the pop of a paint gun. What to do next? I need something that is louder. Perhaps it is time to use a handgun loaded with blanks. I could just have several clips loaded with blanks and ready to fire. Also available are training pistols for training hunting dogs. They shoot .22 caliber blanks and do not require a gun permit or license. This could be a good cost-effective option for a real gun.
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Best Delightful Horse Books For Kids From 5 To 10 Years Old: Starter Pack For Animal Lovers 2021
- What Is Laminitis Or Horse Founder? Condition Phases And Treatment : Hoof Care Guide 2021
- The Ultimate Checklist On Assessing Horse Hoof’s Health? – Horse Care For Best Performance 2021
➡️ Beginner Guide
- Understanding Your Horse Through Basic Equine Psychology Facts 2021
- Do You Want To Be A Successful Horseman? Learn How To Bond With Your New Horse 2021
- Useful Equine Phrases & Vocabulary To Communicate With Horsemen 2021
➡️ Horse Books
- Best Nonfiction Book For Horse Lovers 2021: Literary Illustration Of Magnificence
- Best Online Books On Horses For Beginners (2021): Essential Handbook For Understanding Your Horse And Training
- How To Write A Great Story Book About Horses? Tips For Young Authors 2021
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Is There Anything To Be Cautious As A Horse Owner? Common Plants That Are Poisonous To Horses 2021
- Are You Considering EMT For Your Horse? Equine Massage Treatments FAQ 2021
- Nothing Is Wrong Of Your Hay But Horse Still With Problems? Environmental Causes Of Horse Colic 2021
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- Becoming A Farrier: Love For Horses, Training And Experience
- How To Know If Your Horse’s Weight Is Appropriate: The Tips And Diet Needs 2021
- 6 Things You Should Do To Prepare For The Farrier: Prime Concerns Prior To Professional Caring 2021
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- Amazing Insights Of A Horse Training Expert From The Late 1800’s! (2021)
- How To Shoot A Gun While Sitting On The Horse? First Steps You Should Begin With (2021)
- What Are Some Common Horse Bad Habits? Learn What Makes A Polite Equine 2021
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products