Poisonous plants may be lurking in your horse’s pasture and they can make your horse very sick. Symptoms can be as mild as a bellyache or as severe as life-threatening colic or founder.
Red maples and oak trees are common colic culprits. Red maples are toxic during the growing season and even more so after the leaves fall, causing anemia and kidney damage. Oak leaves can cause hard, dark manure following by colic, diarrhea, and mouth sores.
Other trees that have no place in the horse pasture include horse chestnut, buckeye, black cherry and black locust. Shrubs such as oleanders, mountain laurels, azaleas, and rhododendrons are unsuitable. Japanese yew is especially toxic—just a few leaves can be fatal. Avocado, too, is dangerously toxic to horses.
Common meadow weeds such as jimson weed, pokeweed, and buttercups should be removed from pastures. Look carefully for sorrel and shamrocks; these small plants contain oxalates that can cause stomach and intestinal inflammation. In large amounts, they can deplete calcium.
Manage and maintain your pastures to minimize invasive plants like spurge, wild mustard, and horsetail. These plants may be responsible for many mysterious colics.
Do not plant morning glories, foxgloves, tomato, or potato plants within reach of your horse, and be aware that cockspur hawthorn, mesquite, and persimmons can obstruct the small or large intestine.
This list is not complete. For more information, the Cornell University Department of Animal Science provides an excellent list of plants that are poisonous to horses.
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Best Horse Book For Teenager 2021: A Lesson Of Love For Animal Lovers
- Why Horse Hoof Cracks, Splits And Chips And Their Solutions: The Quick Fix Guide 2021
- Christmas All-Time Favourite Book 2021: Twas The Night Before Christmas – Reindeer Poem To Be Revisited
➡️ Beginner Guide
- Do You Want To Be A Humorous Person? Horse Jokes One Liners: Things Farriers Love To Hear 2021
- Happy National Farriers Week 2021: Reasons To Thank Farriers
- Horse Stable Ideas To Know When Bringing Your New Horse Home 2021: Preparations You Should Go Through
➡️ Horse Books
- Best Horse Book For Toddlers (2021) With Educational Illustrations
- Celebrate Earth Day Every Day: Top 10 Books on Green Riding, Sustainable Living, and How Equestrians Can Save the World 2021
- The Best Famous Music For Families And Children To Share Time Together 2021
➡️ Horse Health Care
- How To Take A Horse’s Vital Signs? Interpreting Health Of Your Horse Before Danger 2021
- Equine Therapy Resources: Horse Riding For Special Needs Children With Asperger’s & Autism
- How To Prevent Sand Colic Risk For Horses That Ingest Sand: Causes And Product Recommendation 2021
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- What Makes A Good Horseshoe Farrier? Tips On Finding A Sound Shoeing Blacksmith
- Grab Your Chance To Upgrade Yourself As A Horse Lover At A Low Price! Great Deals Of Amazon Prime Day 2021
- The Ultimate Checklist On Assessing Horse Hoof’s Health? – Horse Care For Best Performance 2021
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- You Have New Colts? Tips You Should Know To Train Young Horses Effectively 2021
- How To Catch A Horse In A Field? Tips Recommended For New Horse Owners 2021
- Horse Show Performance Classes Explained: Why You Need Horsemanship 2021
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products