Equine enteritis (duodenitis-proximal jejunitis), an inflammation of the small intestine, usually affects the part of the small intestine closest to the horse’s stomach. The inflammation reduces the intestine’s motility, reducing its ability to absorb fluids. Large amounts of fluid accumulate in the intestine and the horse can become dehydrated. Symptoms of enteritis include abdominal pain and diarrhea as well as kicking and rolling common to colic. Enteritis should be treated by a veterinarian.
Equine Enteritis Causes
What causes equine enteritis?
- • Intestinal horse parasites such as roundworms and small strongyles can inflame the lining of the intestines.
- • Sand and gravel can irritate the lining of the intestines and cause inflammation, as can the ingestion of poisonous plants or chemicals.
- • A bacteria, Clostridium perfringens, may cause an intestinal inflammatory reaction. Enteritis is more common in the southeastern US, possibly due to naturally occurring soil bacterium.
Equine Enteritis Treatment
How is equine enteritis treated?
Your veterinarian will perform a thorough examination to rule out infections and other causes. It is often difficult to differentiate between enteritis and a twisted intestine, a condition requiring immediate surgery. Therefore, your veterinarian may recommend exploratory surgery.
Initial treatment includes gastric and small intestine decompression (usually done with a nasogastric tube), fluid therapy and anti-inflammatory and pain relieving drugs.
Your veterinarian may recommend a bland diet for several weeks.
Use good feeding practices. Pasture is best but when turnout is not possible, offer small, regular meals of high-quality feed and unlimited fresh water.
Manage manure. Pick out stalls daily and keep pastures as manure free as possible.
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Best Informational & Educational Horse Books Online 2021: Another Reason To Love Riding
- Animal Lover’s Book Guide: Best Horse Book For 6 & 7 Years Old 2021
- Best Nonfiction Book For Horse Lovers 2021: Literary Illustration Of Magnificence
➡️ Beginner Guide
- What To Look For When Buying A Show Horse? Checklist To Have A Specialized Equine 2021
- Help For Horse Owners: Equine Resource Links That Must Be Helpful For You And Your Buddy 2021
- Important Knowledge To Know Before Signing Horse Purchase/sale Contracts & Agreements
➡️ Horse Books
- Celebrating 2021 Banned Books Week With Unforgettable Horses Books: Most Loved Literary Classics
- Best Horse Deals Equestrians Were Looking For: Planning For Upcoming Amazon Black Friday 2021
- Holiday Books For Horse Lovers: Best 10 Christmas, Hanukkah, & Winter Holiday Themed Horse Books (2021)
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Short Knowledge About Horse Inflammation Of The Small Intestine: Equine Enteritis And Colitis
- Basic Knowledge Horse Owners Must Know: Horse Colic Prevention And Management 2021
- Common Causes Of Impaction Colic In Horses: Health Knowledge Equestrians Must Know 2021
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- Everything You Need To Know About Hoof Care For Horses: The Right Shoes 2021 (Part 2)
- 10 Common Basic Horse Hoof Trimming Tools 2021: Do You Need To Trim Horse Hooves?
- Why Horse Hoof Cracks, Splits And Chips And Their Solutions: The Quick Fix Guide 2021
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- Amazing Insights Of A Horse Training Expert From The Late 1800’s! (2021)
- Do You Want To Be A Successful Horseman? Learn How To Bond With Your New Horse 2021
- Grab Your Chance To Upgrade Yourself As A Horse Lover At A Low Price! Great Deals Of Amazon Prime Day 2021
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products