Basic hoof shapes are oval to round and pear shaped, and should be cylindrical, without flares, hollows, bulges or distortions. The basic components making up the hoof, are the frog, the sole and the wall, which is readily see from the bottom of the foot. Where the wall and sole meet, there is a distinguishing line called “The white line”.
Generally speaking the hoof is sensitive from the white line in towards the frog and insensitive from the white line out to the wall. Much is made of nailing outside of the white line in order to not quick the horse, and this is definitely a major consideration when shaping and then nailing the shoe on. The true shape of a hoof is determined by the “white line” of the sole. This white line stays true – a factor that requires clear understanding of what is a “true” and what is a “false” white line which means that the hoof has not been allowed to flare or is not in the state of “founder”.
If a shoe is shaped to the irregular perimeter of the outside wall there is no control over the irregularities of hoof growth. Why? Because the shoe has been shaped and nailed to these irregularities and therefore encouraging them to continue to grow in that fashion. An experienced farrier will dress the hoof so that these flares and iregularities are removed and uniformed growth is encouraged. This might take up to a year to accomplish but is definitley what all competent farriers attempt to achieve.
Shoes should never be nailed to flares or wings that occur on the hoof wall. This will not be a strong setting and the true foot size will be distorted. So the shape of your shoe should follow the shape of the white line, providing the hoof is normal. That means cylindrical, with a true white line and all distortions removed.
The other factors determining shoe shape are gait problems, e.g. breakover, brushing, forging etc., and can entail quite a variety of shapes and configurations in order to accomplish the maximum performance from your horse safely and comfortably. This is a study all by itself and would be impossible to outline in its entirety here. The subject that we are addressing here is shoe shape for the average, normal hoof.
💛💜💛 Want To See More Less Common Gift Ideas For Horse Lovers? ==> Click The Images Below To Explore!
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Best Horse Book For Toddlers (2022) With Educational Illustrations
- Holiday Books For Horse Lovers: Best 10 Christmas, Hanukkah, & Winter Holiday Themed Horse Books (2022)
- List Of The Best Christmas Holiday Books, Stories, Music & Movies On Horses 2022
➡️ Beginner Guide
- How To Start Horse Training For Beginners? Steps You Should Know If You Don’t Want To Misuse Your Animal 2022
- Helpful Farrier Clubs, Blacksmith Organizations, Farrier Schools Resources 2022: Get More Information Here!
- Horse Stable Ideas To Know When Bringing Your New Horse Home 2022: Preparations You Should Go Through
➡️ Horse Books
- Celebrating 2022 Banned Books Week With Unforgettable Horses Books: Most Loved Literary Classics
- Best Equestrian Horse Book For Riders (2022)
- Best Horse Book And Movie Series For Teens 2022 – Percy Jackson
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Short Knowledge About Horse Inflammation Of The Small Intestine: Equine Enteritis And Colitis
- Grab Your Chance To Upgrade Yourself As A Horse Lover At A Low Price! Great Deals Of Amazon Prime Day 2022
- How To Take A Horse’s Vital Signs? Interpreting Health Of Your Horse Before Danger 2022
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- 6 Common Reasons Why Is A Horseshoe Lost 2022: Don’t Judge The Farrier’s Workmanship Just Yet
- What Determines The Shape Of The Horseshoe? Know The Basics To Hoof Shape Care 2022
- How Do You Know If Your Horse Has Been Lamed Through A Misplaced Nail?
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- Horse Training Secrets For Busy Horse Owners Short On Time: “Quick To Do” Training Tips For You 2022
- How To Prepare For A Beach Moonlight Trail Horseback Ride? Tips To Spend A Great Evening 2022
- Best Horse Deals Equestrians Were Looking For: Planning For Upcoming Amazon Black Friday 2022
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products