Laminitis or horse founder is an issue of prime concern for all horse owners. Every breed may be affected by laminitis / founder. In order to properly understand this subject, a description of the terms “Laminitis” and “Founder” should be stated first.
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ Click To Explore More On Amazon
✅ Best Easy Hoof Boot
Laminitis life saver!!! – They were amazing. They allowed him to be comfortable and recover successfully. He, unfortunately, is having another laminitic episode, but yesterday the farrier pulled his shoes and put his boots back on and he actually was able to stand and walk so much easier. He is so much more comfortable in the boots. They have been a lifesaver… Would give them 10 stars if that was an option.
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ Add This To Your Cart
✅ Best Hoof Dressing
Does it’s job well – To a mare that has really susceptible to cracks in her front hooves, this stuff really helps provide some moisture so she doesn’t crack as badly. Last year, her hooves cracked all the way up to the coronet band, and a friend recommended we try Fieblings. It’s not a magic “fix all”, but it does add moisture to hooves and, after everything we’ve tried for a horse over the years, this is the most effective. It obviously can’t replace proper hoofcare, but it’s great at what it does.
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ See Reviews Of Actual Horse Owners
✅ Best Proper Hoof Care
Works great! – This is easy to apply with the soft brush attached to the lid. Does a great job of helping to prevent or repair chips etc during dry weather. A little mare doesn’t mind the application at all. Drys quickly and there is no strong odor. Easy to read directions and information. Penetrates deeply and provides a strong surface.
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ Check Current Price
✅ Best Easy-Grip Horse Hoof Pick
BEST and LAST hoof pick you will ever need! – Hands down the best tool ever! Crappy picks don’t give you the leverage to clean that frog out. Works on hard as rock dirt, snowpack, horse crap, wedged rocks, you name it. Makes my job easier. The problem is they make this product so good, if you are a casual horse owner this will last you the rest of your lifetime! Throw your other picks out and do yourself a favor this one is the bomb!
What is Laminitis?
Laminitis is a painful condition of the horse’s hoof. It is the swelling of the substances that attach the hoof wall to the coffin bone. These substances are called laminae.
There are 4 stages that a horse with laminitis can progress through:
- Developmental Phase – This phase duration is approximately the first 20-72 hours. This is the time period after the “cause”, and before the first signs of lameness. There are few clinical signs during this phase. The hoof wall should appear as normal during this stage.
- Acute Phase – The duration of this phase is approx. 34-72 hours after the first signs of lameness. Heat will generally be found in the hoof at this point. The hoof wall will still appear as normal.
- Sub-Acute Phase – The beginning of this stage is 72 hours after the onset of lameness. This is the recovery stage when proper treatment has been given, pain is receding and proper care must be maintained to prevent any further damage. It may take up to 12-14 months for full recovery. The hoof wall may appear to have a “ring” of protruding hoof growth that will continue to grow downwards from the coronet during this stage.
- Chronic Laminitis – This is a stage that can be avoided if the disease is caught and treated early enough. At this point, the structures inside the hoof have been altered permanently – specifically, the coffin bone has rotated downwards in angle, front tip first. This is where our terminology combines and the word “founder” comes into play.
What is Horse Founder?
Horse Founder is the actual misalignment of the bone structures inside the hoof due to destabilization of the hoof capsule. The inner hoof wall has torn its attachment to the coffin bone – destabilizing the bone structures. At this point, the coffin bone rotates downwards due to the lack of support from the “laminae”.
Founder may represent itself on the outside of the hoof wall in the form of “rings” of protruding growth – signs of stress that can occur over time. These rings will grow from the coronet downwards, eventually being cut out. Hoof wall may begin to curl upwards at the toe and sole may become flatter due to the misalignment of the hoof structures.
Causes of Founder / Laminitis
Causes of horse founder and laminitis may be broken into two main categories: Systemic and Mechanical
- Systemic refers to anything that relates to the normal function of a horse’s overall body system. For example: improper diet, infections, etc
- Mechanical refers to something that has changed the normal function of a horses movement. For example: improper farriery, tragic insult(injury), etc
Most causes of laminitis or founder fall into the systemic category, with dietary concerns being one of the most common situations.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Laminitis and Founder
Laminitis / Founder can be a very devastating condition for a horse. It can also be controlled and managed with proper diagnosis and treatment. Veterinary and Farrier involvement is a necessity. If laminitis is caught in the early stages, much can be done to help prevent the progression to chronic. If the stage has already hit chronic, X-rays should be taken to determine the degree of rotation and necessary treatment options considered.
It is helpful to note that rotation may not be apparent on an X-ray focused on the coffin bone if the chronic condition has become classified as a “sinker”. A sinker refers to the misalignment of the bone structure from further up than just the coffin bone. Further X-rays of the coronet area should be taken for inspection if coffin bone rotation and surrounding symptoms do not match.
It must be stressed that professional services should be sought immediately for this condition – in extreme cases founder/laminitis can be fatal.
Increase Your Horse Knowledge
To manage the situations that crop up when owning a horse, correct knowledge must be used to diagnose and treat accordingly. Increasing the horse’s rate of recovery and lessening the chance of these situations occurring in the first place is obviously in every horse owner’s best interest.
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ Check This If You Love Horse
✅ Best Book About Horse Health You Should Know
The most important book you will ever buy… – This is not a “treat it yourself” book. It makes you a knowledgeable owner so that when calling a vet, you have the medications he suggests ready to administer while he is on his way. That “golden hour” exists for horses just as much as it does for humans. There are only a handful of medications for horses, but knowing when to give them and why, makes you an informed horse owner. KNOW YOUR HORSE if you want to keep him alive. Own and read this book before you even BUY a horse.
💛💜💛 Want To See More Less Common Gift Ideas For Horse Lovers? ==> Click The Images Below To Explore!
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Animal Lover’s Book Guide: Best Horse Book For 6 & 7 Years Old 2022
- Best Horse Book For Toddlers (2022) With Educational Illustrations
- Best Books For Girls Who Loves Horses 2022: Powerful Ride Into Fantasy
➡️ Beginner Guide
- How To Start Horse Training For Beginners? Steps You Should Know If You Don’t Want To Misuse Your Animal 2022
- Helpful Farrier Clubs, Blacksmith Organizations, Farrier Schools Resources 2022: Get More Information Here!
- Do You Want To Be A Successful Horseman? Learn How To Bond With Your New Horse 2022
➡️ Horse Books
- The Best Famous Music For Families And Children To Share Time Together 2022
- Best Books For Girls Who Loves Horses 2022: Powerful Ride Into Fantasy
- Valentine’s Day Ideas 2022: Love Stories And Poetry For Horse Lovers The Best Literary Works
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Does Feeding Largely Influence Horse’s Colic? Dietary Management Of Horse Colic 2022
- How To Create A Grazing Schedule To Reduce Horse Colic Risk? Tips On Avoiding Grain Overload 2022
- You Have To Prevent Your Horse Being Dehydrated: How To Get Your Horse To Drink More Water 2022
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- Everything You Need To Know About Hoof Care For Horses: The Right Shoes 2022 (Part 2)
- Hoof Care/ Preparation Principals For The Barefoot And Shod Horse 2022
- How To Know If Your Horse’s Weight Is Appropriate: The Tips And Diet Needs 2022
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- Grab Your Chance To Upgrade Yourself As A Horse Lover At A Low Price! Great Deals Of Amazon Prime Day 2022
- What Are Some Common Horse Bad Habits? Learn What Makes A Polite Equine 2022
- How To Get Your Horse To Obey You & Look To You For Instruction Without Threatening? 2022
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products