After the first couple of years experience, shoeing quality becomes dependent on individual ability, providing the man is working full time shoeing. The average farrier/blacksmith will do over 7000 hooves a year, so the opportunity to develop his skills is obvious. There is no doubt that the older, more experienced a man is, the better his work should be. However, it’s best to judge each individual shoeing.
With the vast number of horses around today, the need for more blacksmiths is being met. These men learn their profession either from school courses which usually run for three months duration, or by apprenticing with another blacksmith. This usually runs from one to three years. The difference is obvious between the two systems but it should also be noted that there are men from both systems doing good work.
The main ingredients for good shoeing are:
- Sound knowledge of the hoof and conformation of the horse and its movement, plus the injuries and diseases that can affect the hoof.
- A complete set of tools that are handled fluently. This includes a forge that is put to use regularly for clips, heels, trailers, and other necessary shoeing benefits.
- A complete supply of shoes and a welding method that can create shoes from basic to corrective work.
- The desire to do a good setting no matter how long it takes. Some days it will only take 25 minutes for a set of four new shoes. On other days a full hour is needed to do the same setting. Time must always be flexible when compared to rigid quality.
- To work at shoeing full time is important in developing the skill required.
- Aptitude is one thing that can’t be overlooked. Some have it, some don’t, but all can learn the mechanical side of shoeing, which if nothing else, will enable a person to evaluate the work they are paying for.
- It definitely is an advantage if you are a horseman and have experience around horses and feel comfortable around them and they you.
It’s worth noting that I have personally known individuals that have shod for many years and the work never became anything but ordinary simply because they were content to get paid and that was their main motivation. I’ve also seen individuals that had been shoeing for only 5-6 yrs. that was excellent because of their passion for this trade.
💛💜💛 Want To See More Less Common Gift Ideas For Horse Lovers? ==> Click The Images Below To Explore!
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Nothing Is Wrong Of Your Hay But Horse Still With Problems? Environmental Causes Of Horse Colic 2022
- Best Online Books On Horses For Beginners (2022): Essential Handbook For Understanding Your Horse And Training
- Valentine’s Day Ideas 2022: Love Stories And Poetry For Horse Lovers The Best Literary Works
➡️ Beginner Guide
- Understanding Your Horse Through Basic Equine Psychology Facts 2022
- Equine Talks: How To Make Friends With Horseman & Other Horse Owners When You Are In A New Group
- When Will You Need A Horse Lawyer? Occasions You Should Work With Equine Lawyer 2022
➡️ Horse Books
- Best Horse Book For Toddlers (2022) With Educational Illustrations
- Grab Your Chance To Upgrade Yourself As A Horse Lover At A Low Price! Great Deals Of Amazon Prime Day 2022
- How To Write A Great Story Book About Horses? Tips For Young Authors 2022
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Equine Therapy Resources: Horse Riding For Special Needs Children With Asperger’s & Autism
- You Have To Prevent Your Horse Being Dehydrated: How To Get Your Horse To Drink More Water 2022
- 5 Information You Must Know For Physical Management Of Your Horse Colic 2022
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- How Do You Know If Your Horse Has Been Lamed Through A Misplaced Nail?
- What’s The Difference Between Hot And Cold Horse Shoeing? The Different Types Of Horseshoe Making
- How To Know If Your Horse’s Weight Is Appropriate: The Tips And Diet Needs 2022
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- How To Shoot A Gun While Sitting On The Horse? First Steps You Should Begin With (2022)
- Do You Want To Be A Successful Horseman? Learn How To Bond With Your New Horse 2022
- How To Prepare For A Beach Moonlight Trail Horseback Ride? Tips To Spend A Great Evening 2022
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products