Hoof cracks, splits and chips are a common problem in the equine world. With proper management they can be eliminated in most circumstances.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ See Current Price
✅ Best Natural Horse Hoof Care
Superior product. Exactly as advertised. – Amazing product. Keeps the hoof healthy in dry and wet conditions. Does exactly what it says it does! Don’t spend a lot of money on other products. This one replaces them all hands down
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Add To Your Cart Now
✅ Best Horse Hoof Conditioner
Dry Hoofs? You have to have Rainmaker. – Rainmaker is great for keeping your horses hoofs in good condition. There was one horse that came into the farm where my horse is whose hoofs were so dry they were horribly cracked and causing her pain. Within a month of using Rainmaker weekly on her feet, they are in great shape.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Check Now To Protect Horse Hoof
✅ Best Simple Horse Hoof To Prevent Cracks
Great boots – Before my horse tip toed very gently up on the banks beside the roads or trails and now he marches right along down the middle. They are well worth their price. They are easy to put on and remove and are well made. Even after trail ride on rough terrain and through water 4-5 times a week, boots still look great without any wear and they are over a year old.
A Few Definitions Of Terminology:
- A hoof crack is the tearing of the hoof wall, noticeable on the outside in the form of an abnormal groove facing either horizontal or vertical.
- The word split comes into play when a crack or chip becomes more extreme, widening and leaving a noticeable gap.
- When a horses hoof is chipping it is losing stability at the bottom of the hoof, tearing chunks of hoof wall off.
A Few Reasons Why A Horse Hoof May Chip, Crack Or Split:
- Dry Weather – A horses hooves require the natural moisture found in rain and dew. In hot, dry weather, a horses hooves may require extra attention by the horse owner with hoof oils and conditioners to keep them from becoming brittle and breaking off.
- Hoof chipping may be the result of long hooves. This is of course remedied easily by having a competent farrier out on a routine schedule specificly advised for that horse.
- Concussional Injury may result in a hoof crack. Often a horizontal hoof crack will have been caused by a stray kick gone wrong. Commonly these horizontal cracks may be accompanied by heat in the hoof. A farrier and vet may be called to assess the extremity of the injury.
- Nutrional Concerns. A horses hoof growth is affected by what they eat. Sometimes, one may find a horse that needs extra vitamin and supplement than the rest of the herd. This will be noticeable in the form of hairline cracks from the coronet band down to ground level. A good hoof supplement will often take care of this problem.
What To Do About A Horse Hoof Crack, Split, Or Chip?
So you’ve got a horse with a hoof crack, split or chip – now what? Well, there’s a few options depending on the extremity of the issue. If there is enough of a split to cause constant destabilization when your horse is moving, you will need to stabilize that hoof. This is done by putting a shoe on and perhaps adding a patch to give enough surface to nail to and bring added support.
If your horse is just chipping because of length, consider calling your farrier out on a shorter schedule. Now if he’s chipping out and you’ve got a decent schedule going, ask your farrier about the quality of the hooves. Sometimes a good hoof supplement will help remove a hoof problem that involves a “flaking off” of the outside hoof substance. This takes time to see the results because a hoof generally takes from 8-12 months to regrow fully from coronet band downward. And remember if your climate is dry, hoof oils will help your horse from getting brittle hooves and chipping them off.
Now if your horse has a crack that runs vertically from the coronet band downward, this is usually an issue of trauma that has damaged the horn-producing cells at the very top of the hoof. If damaged badly this area will not produce hoof any further and the horse will have this crack pretty much for life. There are some interesting experimental treatments that have been showing signs of progress in the industry to reactivate growth in this area.
If the vertical crack does not reach the coronet band than the hoof will be able to be repaired. Burning across a vertical crack will subsequently aid the stabilization of that area and prevent the crack from continuing upwards. Sometimes a shoe will be a good idea to maintain that stabilization until the crack grows out. The use of staples or stabilization bar with screws is another option and may work well in larger cracks that border on a split.
If you have many hair-line cracks that run vertically all-around your horses hooves, this is generally due to a lack of something in your horses diet. Keep in mind, this can be specific to a certain horse in a herd even though all horses are receiving the same diet, but if all horses are looking that way, consider a change in pasture or feed. In these cases a good hoof supplement is also a good idea.
Horizontal cracks are usually not an issue unless they are so drastic that they destabilize the hoof capsule by making it seem like the bottom section could almost be pried off with enough pressure. In these cases, the use of staples or stabilization bars with screws may be an option depending on location. Another option is using a special mesh that is designed to be used in conjunction with a hoof patch. This may help stabilize the area, but make sure you clean and sterilize it as best as possible. Of course, all work on a horse’s hooves should be done by a trained professional.
Check These Out! Best Horse Equipment Recommended For You!
????? Check This On Amazon
✅ Best Horse Grooming Kit
Convenient, quality kit – A great, all-encompassing grooming kit. Perfect gift for a first-time horse owner or pony-club kid. It has everything you’ll need in a convenient case. I’ve had mine for 9 months now and everything has held up wonderfully. Would recommend it to anyone!
✅ Best Horse Riding Gloves
This seller is AWESOME. – The seller sends a brand new pair as they are guaranteed for a year. There are multiple sizes to choose from, they provide protection, and grip, are very durable, and yet you have a sensitive feel through the glove. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
💛💜💛 Want To See More Less Common Gift Ideas For Horse Lovers? ==> Click The Images Below To Explore!
Horse Lovers Are Also Reading...
- Best Informational & Educational Horse Books Online 2022: Another Reason To Love Riding
- Best Equestrian Horse Book For Riders (2022)
- Best Online Books On Horses For Beginners (2022): Essential Handbook For Understanding Your Horse And Training
➡️ Beginner Guide
- Do Not Buy Horse SImply, Do These 8 Tests Before You Buy The Horse 2022
- Helpful Farrier Clubs, Blacksmith Organizations, Farrier Schools Resources 2022: Get More Information Here!
- 3 Types Of Riders You Should Know To Be A Great Horse Rider: How To Start Horse Riding?
➡️ Horse Books
- Best Horse Book For Toddlers (2022) With Educational Illustrations
- Animal Lover’s Book Guide: Best Horse Book For 6 & 7 Years Old 2022
- Grab Your Chance To Upgrade Yourself As A Horse Lover At A Low Price! Great Deals Of Amazon Prime Day 2022
➡️ Horse Health Care
- Basic Health Knowledge You Must Prepare Before It Happens: How To Plan For A Horse Colic Emergency? 2022
- Nothing Is Wrong Of Your Hay But Horse Still With Problems? Environmental Causes Of Horse Colic 2022
- How To Create A Grazing Schedule To Reduce Horse Colic Risk? Tips On Avoiding Grain Overload 2022
➡️ Horse Hoof Care
- Best Horse Deals Equestrians Were Looking For: Planning For Upcoming Amazon Black Friday 2022
- Everything You Need To Know On How To Take Care Of Your Horse’s Horseshoe Settings FAQs 2022 (Part 1)
- The Ultimate Checklist On Assessing Horse Hoof’s Health? – Horse Care For Best Performance 2022
➡️ Training & Riding Horse
- Horse Show Performance Classes Explained: Why You Need Horsemanship 2022
- The Top 3 Tricks Horse Owners Can Use To Unspoil A Barn Spoiled Horse 2022
- Horse Fences 101: 6 Basic Factors You Need To Consider Before Installing 2022
➡️ Horse Gifts & Products